Friday, July 18, 2008

UFN 14 Luke's Picks

UFN Spike TV 9pm Est/6pm PST

Light Heavyweight bout: Anderson Silva vs. James Irvin

- Unlike the Affliction Headliner, I am going with the favorite here. Silva is without a shadow of a doubt the best pound for pound fighter in the sport. I watched the Countdown to UFN 14 last night and the guy looks as quick and as fast at 205 as he does at 185. Irvin has some highlight real KO’s to his credit, but it’s going to take a lot more than a Superman punch or a flying knee to take out Silva. Frankly, Irvin’s game isn’t well rounded enough to take him out.

Lightweight bout: Hermes Franca vs. Frank Edgar

- Definitely an interesting match up, I like Franca to win coming off his year long drug suspension. Edgar has some legit wins under his belt but Franca is a tremendous fighter who is hungry to get back to a title shot.

Light Heavyweight bout: Brandon Vera vs. Reese Andy

- Brandon Vera looked fit and desperate on the Countdown show last night. That spells trouble for UFC newcomer Reese Andy. Look for sparks to fly in the first round. Definitely a KO victory for Vera.

Welterweight bout: Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns

- Rumble has the unenviable challenge of topping his 51 second KO of Tommy Speer, but I think he’s up for it. Rumble wins via KO.

Middleweight bout: Jesse Taylor vs. C.B. Dollaway

- Some people think this is a perfect match up for fight fans, I disagree. Jesse Taylor is tremendously gifted physically, but he’s really not entertaining to watch and used his raw ability to get through the show. CB is clearly the more polished fighter, but his over confidence has put him in bad places in the past. Fortunately for him, he isn’t facing a guy that is as patient or intelligent as Amir. If CB comes out and makes Jesse stand I think he wins easily. If they spend the fight on the floor, I still think CB wins, but it won’t be unanimous.

Heavyweight bout: Cain Velasquez vs. Jake O'Brien

- Everyone and their mom says Cain Velasquez is THE up and coming fighter in the UFC. Hopefully they are right because the Heavyweight division needs him badly. Cain wins and the legend grows.

Welterweight bout: James Giboo beats Brad Blackburn
Welterweight bout: Brodie Farber beats Rory Markham
Lightweight bout: Dale Hart beats Shannon Gugerty
Middleweight bout: Nate Loughran beats Johnny Rees
Middleweight bout: Tim Credeur beats Cale Yarbrough

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brad Blackburn, you are jabroni! You are worse that Michael Jackson! You are punk, you are gay! I beat you at Pontiac Superdome in 1986, 93,000 fans. I give you my cocaine, my marijuana, you say "Shieky Baby, it's cool!" But you stab me in the back. Now I break you back, I fuck you ass, I make you humble!!!!!!!!!!! I have gold medal! I have ten inch cock! You are worse than Ultimate Warrior, worse than Brian Blair.

Also, I like the site. And I have the New Delhi Wrap really bad.

- I. Ron Sheik